Here we go, trying to get back to blogging recipes on a more regular basis.
After getting back from a week away in Denver and Colorado Springs, my fridge was completely empty. We picked up a few essentials from the Safeway and I was delighted to find first: that baby back ribs are on sale for a few weeks and second: that sweet corn season has officially started.
I had to dig around in the bins for a bit to find these good ears, but they were miraculously ripe and delicious.
After a week of dry heat in Colorado, the humidity of DC was a bit of a rude welcome home gift. This entire dinner was so satisfying and simple to make.
RECIPE: Easy Oven Ribs
2 lbs baby back ribs
3 TBS rib rub (or make your own: garlic, brown sugar, paprika, kosher salt, etc)
1/2 cup barbecue sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's)
* Preheat oven to 350 F
* Pat both sides of the ribs liberally with the rib rub and wrap loosely in foil.
* Place on a sheet pan and bake for 45 minutes.
* After 45 minutes, open the foil pack and brush both sides of the ribs with sauce. Wrap the foil back around the ribs and bake another 45 minutes.
* After 90 minutes total baking time, unwrap the foil and baste the ribs with sauce a second time. Leave the foil pack open and return the ribs to the oven, increasing heat to 450 F. Bake for another 20 to 30 minutes.
* Allow to rest 10 minutes before serving.
RECIPE: Homemade Hush Puppies
1 1/4 cup each white and yellow cornmeal (or 2 1/2 cups of which ever you happen to have on hand)
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 TBS salt
1 heaping tsp cayenne powder
1/2 cup finely minced onion
2 cups milk
1-2 quarts vegetable or canola oil for frying
* In a small saucepan, heat one quart of oil slowly over medium heat.
* While the oil is heating up, whisk the dry ingredients together.
* In a separate bowl whisk together milk and eggs. Add to dry ingredients, allow to rest 5-10 mins.
* Test heat of oil with a drop of batter - it should begin sizzling and frying immediately.
* Use a tablespoon or small ice cream scoop to drop balls of batter into the oil, fry 6-8 minutes until golden brown.
* Cool on a paper towel, serve with honey butter.