Sunday, January 31, 2010

Snow day biscuits

Yesterday the area was more or less entirely shut down, owing to the fact we got dumped with 6 inches of snow. What better to do than bake? My thoughts exactly.

After running across this post by Amateur Gourmet, I was excited to have a use for my last cup of buttermilk.

I adapted the recipe a little bit - and instead of breakfast style buttermik biscuits, I added in some fresh herbs that were getting near their last legs and a bit of Parmesan.




Adam, from AG, suggests mixing your dough in one bowl, and rolling your biscuits in another. But, I tried to form my dough in my new food processor and had my first #foodprocesorfail. The 6 oz. buttermilk and 6 oz plain yogurt (mixed with a little white vinegar), so I ended up having to add an extra up of flour in a different mixing bowl. I scattered a little more flour on one of my new cutting boards and rolled the biscuits there.



This is a midway shot, I wasn't actually able to fit all 12 biscuits into one pan like the recipe suggested (owing, I'd guess to the extra cup of flour I added). I just stuck the other four in a separate pan, but they burned a little on the bottom. Next time I'll probably yank the second pan a few minutes before the full one.


Additionally, as we learned with last week's popovers, my oven tends to run a little hot, so I was watching pretty closely this time. The extra Parm I sprinkled on the top burned a bit, so I think I would also save that til the last few minutes.




End result? 12 beautiful (ok, 4 had slightly burned bottoms), delicious and fluffy biscuits. 


Here's my  adapted version of the recipe: 
3 c all purpose flour
1 TBS baking powder
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
chopped basil and parsey (about half a handful of each, or however much you've got onhand)
3 TBS grated Parmesan cheese
4 TBS cold butter, cut into little pieces
1 1/2 c buttermilk (I used 3/4 c buttermilk and one 6 oz plain yogurt mixed with 1 TBS white vinegar)

Pulse together dry ingredients and herbs in food processor (or whisk together in a large mixing bowl). 

Cut the butter into flour mixture until it looks like coarse meal (I used my FP for this). 

Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients and combine into a sticky dough.

Sprinkle about 3/4 c flour on a baking sheet or large cutting boards. Scoop 1/4 c sized balls of dough and roll in the mound of flour, then place in a well oiled cake pan. (AG fit 12 in his pan, I only fit 8 in mine)

Bake for 5 minutes at 500 degrees, and 10 at 450 (I adjusted the temperature slightly in my own oven) 

Turn out on wire racks to cool. 


 Dreaming? of a day without snow, so I can go buy more flour and keep baking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment