Monday, February 1, 2010

Coconut red curry

Finally got my pho cravings fulfilled, but I also threw on a big wok-ful of red curry last night, so Jake and I are totally set for lunches this week. 

These photos are actually from when I made it for dinner last week. 

First, ginger, garlic and Thai red curry paste (I like a TON, 3-5 TBS, or most of the jar) get fried in about 4 TBS oil. When it smells absolutely amazing (or when the garlic starts threatening to burn), mix in your coconut milk. It turns a beautiful, silky orange-red color. 


Next, mix in your proteins (chicken and tofu, in this case), and veggies (chopped spinach, water chestnuts, green onions and potato -- I used sweet potato in place of little red potatoes last week, and they were great). I also put in a little chicken stock (about 1 cup or so)


Season with paprika, cayenne, yellow curry powder and basil.


About 20 mins later, this is what you've got. Squeeze a lime over before serving.

RECIPE:
Coconut Red Curry (serves 4)
1 TBS minced ginger (or 1 tsp powdered)
4-5 cloves garlic, minced
1 small jar red curry paste
1 can coconut milk
1+ c homemade chicken stock
1 block tofu, fried 
2 chicken breasts, cooked, cubed or shredded
2 large handfuls chopped spinach
1 -2 c potato pieces (normally I use red potatoes, but subbed in a sweet potato with good results)
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 TBS curry powder
1 TBS paprika
1 TBS cayenne pepper (or to taste)

See instructions with photos

Dreaming? of attempting to make pho at home next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment