Thursday, February 25, 2010

The other KFC!

After seeing some really great looking recipes from DC Tasting Table, I decided to embark on my own adventure to try to master the sweet, sticky and spicy. It was also a good way for me to use my wok for the Serious Eats Weekend Cook and Tell.

Some pre-Superbowl reading led me to attempt steaming the wings first for super juicy chicken. 




I used a batter recipe from Viet World Kitchen. I haven't had too much success with battering and frying before, but this seemed to work out pretty well!

Big wok-ful of oil on medium high. Carefully sliding the steamed and battered chicken into the oil, turning after a few minutes to crisp the other side.

The sauce has a gochuchang base, then mixed with honey, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar and a little hot water. Arrange the chicken in a pie pan or 9x13 pan and brush the sauce. Bake at 350 while the others are frying. Turn after 5-7 mins, paint the other side with the sauce.


Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and sliced scallions. 

Then say, NOM! :) Korean sweet, sticky, spicy goodness. The steaming was perfect - the chicken was tender and juicy, and the wok was a perfect place to fry up crispy outsides that soaked up the sauce perfectly. 
Dreaming? of my weekend off from cooking at Disney!

No comments:

Post a Comment