Monday, November 2, 2009

Yes, I realize the photos on the blog are generally... mediocre

Sundays truly are for baking. We had lots of left over hummus from last week's adventure, so more pitas were firmly in order. 


And, as I recently wrapped up a major work project, I decided celebratory cookies were also in order. This concept isn't without precedent for me. In fall 07, I finished a month-long project covering young women with breast cancer and celebrated with a few dozen cupcakes with nude colored buttercream frosting, and tiny red "nipple" candies. Probably NSFW as an intern... but they went over pretty well at the college paper.
Snickerdoodles.... yum. I used the Martha Stewart recipe linked from Bakerella. They're not as puffy as I would have liked, but still chewy and sugary and delicious.



I also still had some basil leftover from a generous editor at work, so I reduced a big can of tomatoes and mixed in some homemade pesto for a really nice, thick sauce.

Tomato pesto sauce:
1 large can diced tomatoes
2 TBS olive oil
1 tsp red chilli flakes
salt/pepper to taste
1/3 c white wine

homemade pesto:
1-2 C fresh basil leaves
1-2 crushed garlic cloves - to taste
2 TBS parmesan chees
olive oil

Simmer tomatoes, spices, oil and wine and allow to reduce over med-high heat until most of the liquid is gone and tomatoes are soft. Mush them every few minutes with a large spoon.

Blend pesto ingredients and stir into the tomatoes, continue simmering until thickened.

Serve with a pasta good for chunky sauces like rotini or gemeli.

No comments:

Post a Comment